Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My keloid update | 1 steroid injection, 4 ultrasounds

It has been almost 6 weeks after my last steroid injection with a new doctor in Pasadena. He mixed the steroid with anesthetic to ease out the pain. But honestly I have been getting steroid injections without any anesthetic, and I'm totally ok with it. The pain isn't that bad. In the past, my doctor in Thailand has told me that anesthetic would counter the effect of steroid and it wouldn't work. I believe that is true, because I don't see much result this time. From my experience the amount of injection has to be generous enough that it would flatten the keloid and also prevent it from growing back. Because remember any trauma to the area would cause more keloid to grow and even a small needle incision is also a trauma.

After that shot in December, I had to wait 2 weeks before I can get ultrasound treatment done, which was done every week (it has been 4 treatments since). The doctor said it would help soften the keloid and also makes the steroid work faster. I'm not sure if this is working. Right after every treatment the skin around the keloid would start to itch really bad. Right now my keloid seems to be more red than before. And the area on top is starting to grow thicker. This starts to worry me. I have another appointment again this Friday. I will have to show these photos to the doctor. I'll let you know how it goes.
(click to see full size image)
timeline of my keloid

2 comments:

  1. what did you put on your keloid when it was itching? I just got injection shots and now itching soooooooooo baddd....i scratched a little but now it's so red. like a rash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right after injection you can use Hydrocortisone cream to help with itch. After the swelling subsided, I use silicone gel sheet to cover the keloid. I make sure I tape it up all around. So there's a constant pressure on the keloid. That way it won't itch.

      Delete